Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society. Our top-ranked journals and highly cited reviews—written by some of the world's foremost experts in their fields—promote innovation among researchers and advance scientific awareness among journalists, policy makers, business professionals, and others with an interest in the societal impact of research.
We are currently seeking a temporary part-time Web Developer to work up to 15 hours per week to maintain, monitor and improve our organization's websites. This is a remote position for up to 6 months and we will only be able to consider candidates who reside in one of the following states: CA, OR, WA, CO, IL, WI, OH, NC, MA, NY, PA or HI.
- Ensuring our websites' front-end code is functioning properly, up-to-date, efficient, bug free, accessible and supporting the company and department needs.
- Working with the internal development team to assist in front-end development for company Web Apps. Performing site usage collection including front-end event handling and supporting services.
- Supporting the Webmaster in maintaining the Annual Reviews websites (including several sites from large content sites running on proprietary content management systems to standard blog sites running on popular platforms).
Qualified candidates must have the following:
Education and/or Experience
- Experience with at least one web content management system (CMS)
- Minimum 1-year experience writing code within a source code control system (Git, Azure Repos, Azure DevOps, etc.)
- Experience with gathering technical requirements and writing formal requirements documentation
- Experience translating design specifications into implemented code
- Experience gathering and analyzing basic web analytics
- Ability to read and comprehend technical documentation and specifications.
- A solid understanding of underlying web technologies including http, certificates, web servers and basic database operations
- Experience with XML desirable
- B.S. Computer Science or related field
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered provided the education or work experience includes the above requirements
- Ability to create and maintain a complex CSS workflow using technologies such as SaSS, Bitbucket/GitHub, Gulp, Yarn, Node.js
- Writing front-end code with JQuery including use of media queries
- Experience with and excellent knowledge of client operating system (MacOS, Windows or Linux)
- Working with Web Content Management System(s) (CMS) (Drupal, WordPress or similar)
- Experience with Literatum, Continuum, Coko or OJS a plus
- Website/Application testing tool suite (Ranorex, Zephyr, TestCafe, AppliTools, etc)
- Experience with implementing event triggers and harvesting reports from Web analytics platform(s) (Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, HotJar or similar) required
- Writing Event triggers for web analytics
- Experience with XML and creation, editing of XSLT desirable
- Creating and maintaining formal technical functional specifications
- Microsoft Excel including use of data import/export (or data source connections) and pivot tables
- Client virtualization especially for code/platform environment management
- Basic understanding of web graphic formats and basic graphic transformations as they apply to web performance
- Ability to script graphic processing via API environments such as imgIX or directly in code libraries such as C#
- Basic understanding of Cloud platform (IaaS, PaaS) roles and architecture
- Experience with creating and editing Apple News JSON format desirable
- Working with/writing Web API (such as REST, SOAP) desirable
- Experience with creating and editing .ePub and .KPF file formats and related CSS desirable
- Ability to demonstrate sufficient technical knowledge to search for software/solutions to satisfy specific needs based on functional criteria and ability to determine best solutions based on suitability of solution to needs
- Excellent ability to transform functional requirements into operable web code
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Very good analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Good work ethic, team player, positive and self-motivated
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively and work independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use hands to finger or feel, reach with hands or arms and talk or hear, and use close vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Salary range for CO candidates will be $35-45 per hour.
|If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at: https://phh.tbe.taleo.net/phh01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ANNUALREVIEWS&cws=1&rid=129|
Annual Reviews offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Temporary part-time employees are eligible for sick leave, time off for jury duty and bereavement leave and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, age (40 and above), military status, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at 650-493-4400 or by email at email@example.com and let her know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this phone number or email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click on each of the following: (1) EEO is the Law Poster, (2) EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, (3) Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Statement, and (4) AR EEO/AA Statement.