Caktus has grown sharp web and SMS applications for business, higher education, and social good since 2007. Our award-winning, Agile teams focus on developing for impact and scalability. We specialize in custom Django apps, but also offer discovery workshops, best practices consulting, and team augmentation. As a full-service shop, Caktus aims to provide clients with an expertly curated experience throughout the development process. Past and current clients include Creative Commons, Duke Health, UNDP, Truth Initiative, PBS, and others in media, travel, education, finance, and health research.
We are looking for an experienced Full Stack Web Developer to provide leadership and guidance for the projects on one of our internal development teams.
While we have decided to prioritize candidates local to Durham, NC, candidates in other states within the US are encouraged to apply. This opportunity is open to all candidates considering part-time, full-time, remote, and contract-to-hire positions.
Skills — You have:
- Python, deployment, dev-ops...you've got it:Our Web Developer has extensive working experience in Python, hands-down. Django experience highly preferred, but advanced knowledge of Kubernetes and a high interest in other programming languages would make us smile.
- The ability to get things done, you make the work go:Our Web Developer has a great deal of experience workingon a diverse set of projects and enjoys building highly custom web applications in Django and Vue/React.
- A strategic mindset, you facilitate velocity:Our Web Developer isinvolved in every aspect of development, from brainstorming to prototyping,front-end HTML/CSS/JS, backend Django and SQL, and through deployment.
DNA — You are:
- Confident with a small ego, you know how to lead with grace:An effective Developer at Caktus has the authority and confidence to make decisions but is humble enough to seek guidance and advice from teammates and clients. When functioning optimally, our Web Developer sets projects, people, and conversations up for greatness through collaboration, patience, and inclusive communication.
- Your middle name is Agile, you are nimble and adaptive:Our Web Developer is inherently flexible in the face of ambiguity while supporting others toward decisive action. Your work is fueled by experience and emboldened by advancement, change, organization, and excellence.
- Curious with a bias toward learning, you are open to feedback and iterative improvement:Our Web Developer believes that all feedback is good and uses it to push projects and ideas further, faster, better. You have a knack for listening and solving problems clients never knew they had, and an interest in sharing your learnings with the team and wider community to support collective growth.
The First 90 Days...here's what to expect:
Within 30 days, you will:
- Follow agile development methodologies and take part in semi-monthly team sprints and daily standup meetings
- Clone Git code repositories and configure development environments running Vue/React & Django projects
- Provide and incorporate constructive feedback on code reviews and use established VCS branching models to stay in sync with the team
- Come up to speed quickly to develop new features, provide enhancements, and fix bugs on assigned client projects
- Communicate with project leads, project managers, and client stakeholders with updates on the progress
- Seek advice or direction from development team members when needed
Within 60 days, you will:
- Write complex Django and Vue/React apps following client specifications and Caktus and community development standard methodologies
- Collaborate on 3-5 ongoing projects and commit changes frequently to provide project leads and project managers with updates on the progress
- Maintain a high level of unit test coverage across assigned projects to catch and prevent feature regressions
- Deploy changes to development servers frequently so clients see progress and feel connected to the process
Within 90 days, you will:
- Lead productive and collaborative implementation discussions with our team and UX partners to distill high-level project requirements into user workflows and intuitive user interfaces
- Help development team grow and effectively utilize latest frameworks and open source packages to achieve desired user experience and functionality when needed
- Work with our team and clients to scope and estimate development and deployment needs for projects with potentially limited requirements
- Help architect scalable solutions and performance-test applications to find and eliminate bottlenecks
The starting salary range for this position is approximately $90,000-$105,000 commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://www.caktusgroup.com/careers/#op-432718-web-developer
Caktus Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We thrive on, encourage, and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, body, genetic information, marital status, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran.