Sr Director Data Science
Location: 5918 STONERIDGE MALL RD, PLEASANTON, California 94588
Albertsons Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons Companies family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Data Science team at Albertsons Companies is looking for an experienced Data Science Leader to work for the most transformational food and drug retailers in the United States. Albertsons operates over 2,300 stores under 19 well-known banners including Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen and Carrs. The company reported revenue of over $60 billion from over 34 million weekly shoppers and is the third largest private company in the country.
Data Science at Albertsons is inspired to build best in class customer experience and revolutionize the food and drug retail industry. We are looking for people who are excited in re-imagining the grocery experience by harnessing the power of AI and digital technologies. The Data Science team collect and rely on big data from existing stores and customer interactions at the 2300 nationwide stores and beyond. We are a highly driven team that apply data science to delight our customers, to improve store operations, to optimize supply chain and to proactively improve product lifecycle.
The Data Science Department has an opening for a Director Data Science. This position is primarily located in Pleasanton, California, but the candidate can work virtually from anywhere in the US. Our other affiliated teams are located in Phoenix, AZ; Boise, ID; Plano, TX; Vancouver, BC. We can offer additional location options upon request.
You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into business impacts on regular basis. You'll lead data scientists and partner with business in identifying and defining data science projects, building machine learning algorithms and models on top of existing data platforms. The candidate will have a background in computer science or a related technical field with experiences working with large data sets and applying data-driven decision making. A successful candidate will be both technically strong and business savvy, with a passion to make an impact through creative storytelling and timely actions. You are a self-starter, smart yet humble, with a bias for action. The level of this position will be determined at the time of the interview.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead partnerships with cross-functional teams to deliver analytical, predictive and decision-support solutions for supply chain and fulfillment-related functions and capabilities. Interface with cross functional leaders and represent point of views from data science to drive measurable success
- Recruit, build and lead a high-performing teams of data scientists and machine learning engineers in a technical capacity. Inspire and deliver data science innovations that fuel the growth of the business
- Provide technical and thought leadership in data science. Guide architectures, data science models, machine learning algorithms and engineering best practices. Cultivate team managers and members and grow their skill sets.
- Use machine learning to solve real customer problems, power the next generation experiences for large scale applications in real time. Deliver breakthrough benefits to customers using personalized, enriched, and derived data from a range of sources
- Drive meetings and lead discussions. Prioritize projects across the team and allocate resources to meet business and team goals, supporting divisional and corporate efforts for cycles of planning and execution
- Communicate sophisticated machine learning and modeling solutions and capabilities effectively with intuitive visualizations for business stakeholders
- Masters or PhD degree in a quantitative discipline: Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Math, Statistics or related mathematically-intensive fields such as Experimental Physics or Chemical Engineering
- 5+ years management experience in building and leading data science teams
- Specific experience and skills working in the retail and grocery industry is preferred, including in the areas of supply chain optimization, merchandising and pricing, digital/ecommerce, fulfillment, and customer and marketing analytics and intelligence capabilities using data science, AI and machine learning tools and techniques
- Track record of guiding teams through unstructured technical problems to deliver business impact. Ability to translate high-level business objectives into action
- Skilled at running cross-functional relationships and communicating with leadership across multiple organizations
- 10+ years of industry experience in applying data science: experimental design, machine learning, deep learning algorithms etc.
- 8+ years of experience and proficiency in Python, SQL
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in building data science solutions and production-ready systems on big data platforms such as Snowflake, Spark, Hadoop
- 5+ years of experience with Data Engineering, MLOps, and Model Life Cycle Management.
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different audience
- Experience with logistics and supply chain management systems, Snowflake, Azure Databricks is a plus
Albertsons Companies is at the forefront of the revolution in retail. With a fixation on innovation and building culture, our team is rallying our company around a unique vision: forging a retail winner that is admired for national strength, deep roots in the communities we serve, and a team that has passion for food and delivering great service.
Albertsons Culture Principles
- Compassion: We always treat each other with kindness and respect
- Team: We always support and recognize each other
- Inclusive: We always value everyone's perspective
- Learning: We always strive to grow and develop ourselves and others
- Competitive: We always act with integrity to win over the customer
- Ownership: We always take actions to drive our success
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting https://www.albertsonscompanies.com/careers/en/home.html
Diversity is fundamental at Albertsons Companies. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Albertsons Companies policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace -- all applicants offered a position are required to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply, visit https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?r=5000781319406&c=1208301&d=External&rb=???