Software Licensing Coordinator
Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 17156
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 04-20-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff. ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information about ITS can be found at: https://its.ucsc.edu
The Software License Coordinator serves as the liaison between Information Technology Services (ITS), vendors and end-users of all campus-wide software license agreements, acting as a central repository for license agreements and, supporting short and long-term planning for campus and divisional software licensing needs.
The Software License Coordinator works very closely with ITS Product Managers to facilitate the procurement of centralized and unique software licenses as needed to support campus operations. Procurement work will include close partnership with the ITS information security office and Chief Information Security Officer to complete appendix data security or appropriate exceptions, when required. This position also works closely with the divisional business office to track and process financial transactions as needed to reconcile software licensing expenses in the ledger.
It is negotiable for this position to work remotely up to 100%, requiring a telecommuting agreement renewed on a regular basis. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor(s). During the assigned work hours, the employee shall not be the primary caregiver of any children, adults or elders.
The employee shall agree to allow the University to assess safety and security of the remote workplace, to ensure that the designated work space is safe and free from hazards and to maintain, repair, inspect, or retrieve University-owned equipment.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Salary Range: $66,300 - $85,000/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley
Union Representation: None
Job Code Classification: 007377 (ADMIN OFCR 3)
50% - SOFTWARE LICENSE ADMINISTRATION
SOFTWARE LICENSE PROCUREMENT AND TRACKING:
- Responsible for software license procurement (including resolution of appendix DS where applicable), tracking, and, renewals,, working collaboratively with other SAS vendors, UC campuses, vendors, IT Product Managers, Information Security and, others in ITS.
- Participate in system-wide software licensing discussions, tracking possible new software license agreements for the campus.
- Conduct cost-benefit analysis of software license acquisitions including cost recovery for distribution and administration.
- Work closely with IT Product Managers to support the development of standards for software licensing.
- Coordinate campus wide license procurement process. Develop and implement tracking mechanisms for licenses usage reporting and procurement cycles, document annual true up, reporting, and renewal processes.
- Work with customers, other stakeholders, and ITS business office to procure and recharge software licenses as applicable.
- Work with the divisional business office to process transactions needed to clean up software licensing expenses on the ledger and/or transfer software license expenses to customers as appropriate.
- Represent UCSC and serve as a voting member of UCOP Software Services Group and IT Strategic Sourcing Committees.
SOFTWARE LICENSE INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION:
- Partner with product portfolio managers and other responsible individuals on publication of software license information and communication, working collaboratively with Support Center, IT Product Managers and others in ITS.
- Provide consultation and assistance to the campus community on site licensing issues, including interpretation of license agreements.
- Respond to inquiries from the campus community, publicizing new licenses and agreements. Track on requests for new/existing licenses, use trends and communicate with IT leadership to support data based decisions.
- Notify customer-base of status of software upgrades and procurement procedures either by publication, electronic mail or phone.
- Maintain a software site license database/web page and any publications, articles relating to software licenses and agreements.
40% - SOFTWARE ASSET TRACKING & PROCUREMENT SUPPORT
- Creates and maintains a database and associated calendar for all ITS software license/maintenance service contracts/agreements/memberships needed for ongoing operations. May include some hardware maintenance contracts as appropriate/time permitting.
- Curates procurement/agreement calendar for software license (and some hardware) maintenance/service contracts, and timelines for renewals. Liaises with ITS and campus partners to ensure that renewal orders are proactively processed in a manner that prevents lapses in and interruptions to services.
- Liaises with vendors to facilitate obtaining quote(s) and understanding agreement/contract terms. Works with vendors and relevant UCSC offices to execute purchase orders as needed to renew software license (and some hardware maintenance) contracts/agreements where needed and appropriate.
- Advises on and supports strategic divisional procurement efforts for software licensing, license maintenance contracts and, some hardware maintenance contracts where appropriate and time permitting. Acts as an escalation point and resource for procurement process questions. Assembles data on divisional/campus wide expenses as needed to support data driven decision making.
10% - PROJECTS
- Participate on project teams for service definition or evolution, especially those related to UCSC-licensed products.
- Coordination of vendor demonstrations of software or hardware products of interest to staff on campus.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Has knowledge of software licensing concepts - including existing campus software, licensing contracts/agreements/terms.
- Knowledge of Information Technology security functions and practices, including appendix data security.
- Interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, tracking on cycles and completing tasks on time with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, problem-solving, and customer service.
- Experience with campus fund accounts, credits/debits, methods for logical cost analysis and expense distribution including determining proportionate share per customer.
- Experience with procurement methods & working with vendors to obtain quotes and understand contract terms.
- Ability to write clear process documentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical staff and vendors.
- Perform effectively in a busy environment with frequent interruptions, workload changes, and competing demands.
- Ability to organize work, prioritize tasks, and communicate status to team members in a timely manner.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, initiative, good judgment, and discretion.
- Experience developing schedules, and following up on assigned work to ensure quality of service delivery.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.