Senior Salesforce and Web Application Developer for Executive, Continuing, Professional Education
Plan and conduct comprehensive applications/web development for complex projects; typically work as part of a team to implement complex business solutions. Perform expert coding: design, develop code at an expert level, and manage development projects, teams, programs. May manage multiple projects simultaneously.
The Senior Salesforce and Web Application Developer will join the Boston-based Web and Application Development team within the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health's Department of Information Technology (IT), which consists of dedicated and talented IT professionals striving to build a teamwork foundation of collaboration, respect, and creativity. The team's portfolio includes a variety of cloud hosted applications such as a multi-tenant content management system, student information system, a science laboratory inventory system, learning management system (LMS) modules and several other web applications that support the School's academic, research, and administrative computing needs.
The Senior Salesforce and Web Application Developer will primarily support the Center for Executive and Continuing Professional Education (ECPE), which is tasked with developing, marketing, and delivering leading edge non-degree programs for the T.H. Chan School of Public Health (SPH).
Reporting to the Manager of Web and Application Development in the Department of IT, with a dotted line to the Senior Manager for Business Operations in ECPE, the Senior Salesforce and Web Application Developer will play a highly visible role in supporting our evolving organization and help us apply smart automation to our changing business needs.
The position has three major areas of focus:
- Hands-on enhancement and administration of our mission-critical Salesforce-based CRM system which supports our Executive Education program registration, invoicing, administration, and marketing efforts. This work includes developing new or expanded functionality; managing custom objects, fields, and formulas; developing reports; updating processes and flows; maintaining integrations; improving data quality; training; and role/permission management.
- Technical leadership and supervision of our WordPress-based web presence. This includes the leading of our standing cross-unit Data Team and other key projects.
- Technical subject matter expert for ECPE and primary liaison with IT departments at SPH and Harvard University levels to ensure ECPE makes effective use of IT services and remains informed of related strategies, common platforms, tools, and development plans. This also includes ensuring compliance with relevant policies.
The successful candidate will have strong CRM experience, strong programming skills, and will enjoy working with non-technical ECPE colleagues to analyze business problems and to develop/implement automated solutions.
This position also supervises one direct report, a Web and Applications Developer.
PLEASE NOTE: The primary work location for this position is Boston, Massachusetts. Until our return to campus, which is still to-be-determined, this interview process and position will be conducted virtually – including virtual interviews, remote onboarding, and remote work. The remote nature of this position is only temporary. Local, on-campus work will be required as a condition of continued employment once the School and this role return to an operational status that supports it.
Typical Core Duties:
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Research, design, and implement technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify opportunities to improve and simplify applications portfolio and implement related enhancements
- Contribute to creation and maturing of software development best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients and to mentor junior staff
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of five years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Bachelor's degree (or advanced) in computer science or related field preferred
- 5+ years of experience with CRMs and database systems, particularly Salesforce, preferred
- Understanding of web development, digital accessibility and user experience standards and best practices preferred
- Experience with system integrations and cloud infrastructure (Salesforce, AWS, Pantheon, Vagrant, Docker) preferred
- Experience with AGILE software development and DevOps practices (Jira, GitHub, CI/CD, New Relic, Sentry) preferred
Experience and comfortability with learning new technologies and efficiently transferring knowledge to others; experience working on multiple projects simultaneously; strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills and experience working effectively with multiple constituencies in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment; experience using independent judgement to carry out duties and responsibilities preferred
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period.
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship for administrative and staff positions.
The Harvard T.H. Chan of Public Health is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about the Chan School's mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our websitehere.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off:3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision:We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement:University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program:Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation:Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options:Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!