Release Train Engineer, Agile PMO
Location: 5918 STONERIDGE MALL RD, PLEASANTON, California 94588
Albertsons Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons Companies family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit, and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Technology Department has an opening for a Release Train Engineer within Enterprise Agile PMO. This position is located in Pleasanton, California.
Albertsons Companies is looking for a Release Train Engineer who is a servant leader for the Agile Release Train (ART). RTE's major responsibilities are to facilitate the ART events and processes and assist the teams in delivering value. Communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk and drive relentless improvement. Assist the Agile PMO and the organization in delivering customer centric high-quality value thru independent ARTs. We want someone who is passionate about Agile and Lean methodologies and pushes for continuous improvement [Kaizen]. You must be comfortable working in a fast paced, iterative, and fun environment, lead the ART, help influence teams achieve high performance.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- You have a deep passion around agility; ability to unlock the intrinsic motivation, potential of people; help them understand the agile values, principles, mindset behind the practices; bring-in transparency and visibility; help in planning, executing, and deploying high quality software on time.
- Strong experience in agile transformation in large, matrix, geographically dispersed and virtual teams; successfully integrating agile approaches across various disciplines and stakeholder groups.
- In the past played the role of a RTE (aka Program Manager) and helped Scrum, Kanban, XP teams using Scaled Agile Framework.
- Expert in influencing and driving internal teams, remote teams, and vendor partner teams to operate in a fast paced and exciting environment, develop and release high quality product in an iterative and continuous fashion.
- A strong team player, mentor, and collaborator. You will work with scrum, Kanban, and program teams to help them improve in needed areas and teach/coach them to run agile practices autonomously and help create high performing teams.
- A strong facilitator who can help teams, programs (Agile Release Trains) and portfolio assess their agile maturity and identify continuous growth opportunities.
- A strong influencer who can get work done as a servant leader.
- Collaborate with Scrum Master, Release Train Engineer, Solution Train Engineer, and assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Solution Management, UX Team, System Architects, Teams, and Engineering Leadership Team to refine and maintain portfolio, solution, program, and team backlog.
- Actively collaborate with Agile Coaches in the roll-out of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), understand and help resolve the challenges, dependencies, impediments, program risks and opportunities that exist within ART (Agile Release Train).
- Collaborate very closely within agile PMO, other lean agile coaches, program leaders and stakeholders during SAFe roll-out.
- Actively encourage the entire ART to participate in their community of practices (CoP) involving SM, PO-PM, and Tech Practices and participate in RTE CoPs.
- Actively coordinate and collaborate with Agile Coaches in getting the entire ART trained in SAFe courses.
- Actively collaborate with Lean Agile Coaches in conducting quarterly health-check across scrum teams and program teams -- build continuous improvement backlogs.
- Facilitate the ART events (Pre-PI Planning, PI Planning, PI Execution - ART Sync-up, System Demo's and Inspect & Adapt), cadence-based Program backlog refinement activity and other customer facing release processes and assist the teams in delivering value on time with high quality.
- Communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk, and drive relentless improvement.
- Actively drive or steer ARTs -- operate most effectively as a servant leader.
- Solid grasp of how to scale Lean and Agile practices and understand the unique opportunities and challenges associated with facilitating and continuously aligning a large development program.
- Guide and support the teams and organization in the use of microservices and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
- Knowledge of well documented Lean/Agile patterns and techniques (Burndowns/Ups Retrospectives, Continuous Flow, Cycle Time, Cumulative Flow, Exploratory Testing)
- Overall play the role of a reflective observer, facilitator, enabler, partner, and hands-on expert as needed.
- Servant Leader - Must be able to garner respect from his/her team and be willing to be hands-on.
- Communicative - Must be able to communicate well with diverse teams and executive level stakeholders from the business in both verbal and written communications.
- Facilitative - Must be able to coordinate and lead Scrum meeting, team discussion, Scrum of Scrums.
- Attitude of transparency - Must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business and Program Management to grow business trust.
- Impediment & Conflict resolution - Must be able to facilitate discussion and facilitate alternatives or different approaches.
- Assertive - Must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, must be able to be a voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls.
- Continual improvement - Must continually be growing one's craft learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team.
- Attitude of empowerment - Must be able to lead a self-organization team.
- Quick learner - Must be able to quickly gain a high-level understanding of Scrum Teams Vision/Scope
- Team Player - Must be able to work closely with cross-functional stakeholders in facilitating team and business discussions.
- Understanding of backlog tracking, burndown/burnup metrics, velocity, cycle time and task definition
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of program management experience with the last 5+ years focused on agile or scaled agile based program management role and running agile practices with an emphasis on continual improvement.
- Previous experience with medium to large projects in Retail Companies is a plus
- Previous cloud experience and large-scale transformation initiatives preferred.
- SAFe RTE 4.x or 5.x certified is preferred.
- SAFe Scrum Master and/or SAFe Advance Scrum Master certifications are preferred.
- SPC 4.x or 5.x -- Scaled Agile certification is preferred; prior experience in rolling out SAFe is preferred.
- ScrumMaster certification (CSM) is preferred; other agile certifications (ICP-ACC, CEC, ACP) in one or more practices Scrum, XP, Lean, Kanban, or similar is a plus.
- Experience using and configuring JIRA, JIRA Align, Aha! and Kendis or similar tools including reporting.
- Must possess superior problem-solving skills, be action-oriented and decisive.
- Deep familiarity and understanding of Agile practices, SCRUM, Test Driven Development, XP, & Kanban
- Ability to effectively articulate and present complex concepts, ideas and strategies to senior leadership and end-users.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure to balance competing priorities in meeting business deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal communications skills.
- Extensive creativity, drive, high energy level, and the ability to self-manage.
Albertsons Companies is at the forefront of the revolution in retail. With a fixation on innovation and building culture, our team is rallying our company around a unique vision: forging a retail winner that is admired for national strength, deep roots in the communities we serve, and a team that has passion for food and delivering great service.
Albertsons Culture Principles
- Compassion: We always treat each other with kindness and respect
- Team: We always support and recognize each other
- Inclusive: We always value everyone's perspective
- Learning: We always strive to grow and develop ourselves and others
- Competitive: We always act with integrity to win over the customer
- Ownership: We always take actions to drive our success
- Work may be performed in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Must sit, stand, or walk for extended periods of time.
- May spend long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Will use keyboards, telephone, and other office equipment during the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
- Work day is fast paced; some evening and weekend work may be required.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting https://www.albertsonscompanies.com/careers/en/home.html
Diversity is fundamental at Albertsons Companies. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Albertsons Companies policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, or any other legally protected status.
We support a drug-free workplace -- some positions require applicants offered a position to pass a pre-employment drug test before they are hired.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply, visit https://recruiting.adp.com/srccsh/public/RTI.home?r=5000744302306&c=1208301&d=External&rb=???