Lead Network Administrator
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for a Lead Network Administrator. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a varied community. The Lead Network Administrator will be part of the Systems & Networking team, reporting directly to the Director of Systems and Networking.
Summary of Responsibilities:
This role will deliver technology strategy and direction across various network domains; develop and publish network strategies and standards, advocate for strategy alignment, and drive network infrastructure value that ensures security, sustainability, and resilience; perform as the subject matter expert on network architecture, hybrid multi-cloud networking, and new technology deployments; develop business cases and conduct RFPs; and define and conduct pilots and proof of concepts and innovations with service owners for new and emerging network technologies. Additionally, this position will be the liaison with key stakeholders to ensure that our network maintenance and upgrade roadmaps are maintained and executed on time.
The Lead Network Administrator will work collaboratively with members across our IT teams to drive our infrastructure strategic plan, as well as perform "hands-on" work where appropriate. They will provide expertise and share an understanding of current capability gaps, architectural gaps, and market and industry trends that can be used to set the College's future strategic direction.
This position is required to be on campus once or twice a week, and will need to have residence in either Massachusetts or Connecticut. As a member of a diverse workforce, participating in the College's efforts to build a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment is expected.
This position pays $115,000 - $135,000.
- Master's degree in a technical field and 4-6+ relevant networking experience, or Bachelor's degree in a technical field and 10+ years of relevant networking experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience of core routing and switching design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of networking best practices in:
- Routing protocols OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, ISIS
- Spanning-tree, VTP, Port Channels, Load balancing, SPAN
- Multicast PIM Sparse/Dense, MSDP
- MPLS traffic engineering design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- MPBGP-VPNv4, Multi-VRF and VRF-Lite
- Segment Routing Concepts
- NAT, DHCP, and DNS
- IP planning
- Network virtualization
- Routing protocols OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, ISIS
- Experience with Cisco and/or Juniper routing products of various silicon, O/S, and fabric generations
- Experience with L2 and L3 services models, including designs for end-to-end QoS, SLA, OAM, and SAT
- Knowledge of hybrid multi-cloud architecture, public cloud adoption framework, workload and application cloud migration strategy
- Experience with inventory tracking and documentation
- Experience working with third parties to coordinate equipment purchase and licensing that work in the best interest of the employer
- Experience with network security practices, including SASE and Zero Trust
- Excellent understanding of VPN (site-to-site, client, IPSEC, IKE, etc.)
- Experience migrating networks in a complex enterprise environment
- Excellent documentation skills, including drawing and diagramming complex network topologies and rack diagrams
- Experience with network diagnostic and network analytic toolchains
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to interact with stakeholders at all levels
- Experience in ITIL4
- Experience with Passive Optical Networks (PON)
- Experience with Azure or AWS
- Experience with Clearpass and Aruba related products
- Industry Certification: (CCIE, CCNP, CISSP, AWS Solution Architect)
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Lead-Network-Administrator_JR4090