Enterprise Application Administrator
Job ID: 63875
This position is eligible to be fully remote for individuals with permanent residence in the U.S. This is not a visa sponsorship opportunity.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 02-12-2024
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus's centralized resource to support and amplify research, instruction, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of over 200 diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results. Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, resourceful, kind, and committed to inclusion.
ITS strives to continually improve service quality, experience, and value for our students, faculty and staff. We are deeply committed to nurturing and strengthening an organization that values equity, work-life balance, and supportive culture. Prioritizing career paths is important to us and we devote resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. We are looking for candidates who do great work from different backgrounds and practices, and who will support our aspirations to shape an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every qualification for the position but possess transferable skills and experiences.
University of California offers competitive benefits including Medical, Dental & Vision Care Insurance Plans, University of California (UC) retirement, Paid Family Leave, and Paid Holidays plus accrued vacation and sick leave. Visit the UC benefits page for more information at UC Compensation and Benefits.
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
The Enterprise Integrations group supports UCSC's Enterprise applications. This Enterprise Application Administrator position is responsible for supporting data center and Amazon Web Services (AWS) based Enterprise scale applications. This position works closely with Information Technology Services (ITS) staff and vendors to provide technical support for the administration, development, and integration of these applications. Assignments include supporting the creation and monitoring of interfaces to institutional systems, designing and implementing application level security, upgrades & patches, problem resolution, and performing release management functions.
Additional skills preferred for this position are a background that includes the understanding and usage of AWS development tools for the development of AWS Cloud-based infrastructure and application solutions for a University environment. A strong background in DevOps is highly desired.
Budgeted Salary: $112,000 - $123,900/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Remote
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 000499 (INFO SYS ANL 4)
Travel: Never or Rarely
55% - Application Administration
- Independently manages systems and services primarily hosted on AWS for large, highly integrated enterprise-scale systems or of campus-wide scope.
- Analyzes, installs, modifies, and supports vendor-supplied modules, middleware, developer tools, and third-party infrastructure and utility software that may include work with Apache Tomcat.
- May lead a team of application administrators
- Researches, recommends, and designs large and complex campus-wide adoptions, deployments, and technology transitions.
- Initiates and designs conversion/upgrade and system implementation plans or participates in developing portions of plans.
- Applies advanced concepts in working on projects of enterprise-scale or campus scope to perform highly complex technical functions in multiple IT areas of specialization, working with systems administrators, DBAs, network administrators, and application programmers.
- Ensures security of these systems and data, through the use of TLS, SSL, and other encryption keys, and adhering to UC InfoSec policies and best practices.
30% - Automation Solutions and Technical Support
- Designs, develops, modifies, debugs, deploys, and evaluates scripts using Linux & AWS languages such as Bash, Chef, and Ruby.
- Initiates, analyzes, designs, and applies highly complex data sources in Oracle or Amazon RDS.
- Plans and directs key activities in the release management process using Git.
- Oversees process and develops standards for migration of software from test to production.
- Performs advanced configuration, coding, and tests/debugs complex programs.
- Provides operational support for assigned applications, module extensions, tools, and services.
- Assists in troubleshooting problems between assigned applications and other software systems by working with the greater ITS technical team.
- Automates integrations and processes using tools like Control-M and Mulesoft.
15% - Systems Development
- Initiates, designs, or modifies highly complex systems, processes, and procedures where standardized policies or procedures may not exist.
- Creates highly technical specifications for systems with a broad impact on campus.
- Performs highly complex analysis of unit and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into the proper systems and process requirement specifications.
- Analyzes business problems to be solved with automated systems.
- Understands and applies industry practices, community standards, and ITS policies and procedures in-depth.
- Initiates and recommends changes in development, maintenance, and system standards.
- May serve as technical lead for multiple projects of moderate to broad scope.
- Utilizes ITS standard practices, including Portfolio and Project Management, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC), and Change Management methodologies.
- Utilizes software version control, release, and configuration management practices to ensure the security of systems.
- Develops full data/information documentation for highly complex small- and medium-sized projects.
- Initiates and designs diverse data and data systems.
- Initiates, designs, and implements detailed interfaces between computer systems.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with system problem identification and resolution.
- Knowledge necessary to design, set up, operate, and correct malfunctions involving technology systems.
- Strong operational experience in supporting day-to-day production/development issues.
- Experience and knowledge of supporting vendor-delivered software, upgrades, patching, and configuration management.
- Knowledge of application development technologies, development tools, and/or protocols including, but not limited to:
- Web Servers: Apache
Database: Oracle, Amazon RDS
Languages: SQL, PL/SQL, Linux command languages (i.e. BASH)
Tools: SQL development tools, Git, Control-M, Jenkins, Mulesoft
Protocols: SFTP, SSH, HTTPS, TCP/IP and networking
Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
Amazon Web Services (AWS): Cloudformation, VPC, EC2, Systems Manager, Chef, S3 Storage, IAM, Route53
Applications: Campus Solutions PeopleSoft
SSL and SSH key generation and use, PGP key generation and use, web application security, certificate management
- Web Servers: Apache
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users, and dependent/related functions.
- Technical skill to develop, implement and test disaster recovery functions using backup technologies.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze complex problems and identify the root cause(s).
- Demonstrated skill leading technical teams, including organizing workflow and scheduling assignments.
- Solid ability to gather, organize and analyze data in the completion of assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively across the organization at multiple levels both verbally and written.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently on complex technical projects as well as on a team of technical professionals and departmental decision-makers.
- Ability to handle mission-critical 24/7 production environments.
- Advanced knowledge of business and process analysis functions.
- Knowledge of the design, development, and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Knowledge of and experience with structured and ad hoc testing methodologies, applying test automation to verify implementation.
- Strong operational experience in supporting day-to-day production/development issues.
- Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Demonstrated skill for protecting operating systems, software, data, and hardware security.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- AWS Architect.
- Mulesoft Certified Developer.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- The selected candidate has the option to work a hybrid work schedule. If a hybrid work schedule is confirmed, the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California vaccine program.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.