The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer who wants to become part of an dynamic team of technology professionals supporting the institution's mission, "To enable UMass to provide an affordable and accessible education of high quality and to conduct programs of research and public service that advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world."
We are transforming to adopt new capabilities such as cloud-first architecture, DevOps, and agile. We support a highly distributed and diverse environment for mission-critical systems for multiple campuses. We embrace a culture of continuous learning by fostering a growth mindset and working together to solve hard business and technology challenges, with strong leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units.
The DevOps Engineer II is a technical role supporting our cloud environments and data center in a multi-platform, protocol, operating system environment. The role ensures we can deliver and support a variety of enterprise and business applications.
LEVEL 2 -Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review.
- Small to medium-sized agile project and operations teams
- Cloud Technologies such as AWS and Azure – Private, Public, Hybrid, IaaS+, PaaS, SaaS
- Container technologies and microservices
- Coding and scripting languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.
- SDK and CLIs
- Various protocols such as HTTP, SSL, SSH, JMS, JDBC, REST API, etc.
- Open source technologies such as Dockers, KVM, and Python
- Version control systems such as GitHub, Subversion, and Visual Source Safe
- Build and release management for infrastructure and application development
- Identify and remediate code vulnerabilities
- Design and develop automation solutions that improve DevOps operations and efficiency
- Document and track work using IT service management and project tracking tools
- Collaborate with end users, vendors and management to ensure the delivery and use of application is consistent with business outcomes
Required Job Skills:
Demonstrated technical proficiency with:
- Software development lifecycle
- Experience with container technologies
- Basic networking concepts (e.g. VLAN, subnetting, routing, and switching)
- Establish priorities and adjust work accordingly
- Troubleshooting technical issues in a complex multi-platform environment
- Office productivity, database, and flowcharting software
- Current software protocols and internet standards
- Information security and data privacy practices
Demonstrated professional proficiency with:
- Continuous learning of new skills and technologies while adapting to new
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain a positive working relationship with others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to act independently to drive UITS goals and change
Bachelor's degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent work experience.
Ability to think clearly and take best course of action in high-pressure situations
Understanding of network services such as ssh, ntp, sftp, ftp, nfs, rpc, smb/cifs, smtp and dns.
Three years of experience:
- As a DevOps practitioner/engineer
- with Linux (specifically RedHat Linux or a derivative of it) system administration
- with infrastructure automation
- AWS Certification - DevOps Engineer
- Any Azure Certification
- Intermediate understanding of server virtualization and how to operate in a virtual environment
- Experience working with Networked Attached Storage (NAS) environments
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery system architecture
One year of experience:
- Coaching others in the adoption of DevOps practices and technologies
- Leading DevOps projects
- Periodically working inside data centers for extended periods of time
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation with periodic evening and weekend work for planned maintenance and project work
Salary range $70,000 to $85,000. Final salary offer commensurate with experience.
Please include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three references with your application at https://careers.umassp.edu/presidentsoffice/en-us/job/507489/dev-ops-engineer-ii