Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation's future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge's our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking a Chief Information Officer (CIO) to provide visionary and strategic leadership for the development and management of the centralized computing, information, and business systems infrastructure that underpins the Laboratory's world-class scientific experiments and facilities. In addition to serving as an institutional steward of the Laboratory's enterprise computing capabilities, the CIO leads the Information Technology Division (ITD). ITD includes experts in information technology (IT) infrastructure and operations; cyber security; business systems; data information; and information services, including records management and the Research Library. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is resourceful and innovative, and who understands that collaboration with stakeholders from across the Laboratory is critical to ensuring the right expertise and technology are in place to advance our mission of bringing science solutions to the world.
Reporting to the Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations/Chief Operating Officer, the CIO is an integral member of the Laboratory's leadership team and contributes to the responsible stewardship of the Lab's values, research, people, and assets, including promoting a diverse and welcoming culture. The CIO is also a member of the Laboratory senior leadership Policy Council which advises the Laboratory Director on institutional policy, risks, opportunities, and issues.
This is an exciting career opportunity for a senior leader to substantially contribute to the formulation, direction, and execution of IT that underpins the Laboratory's scientific research and business operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, vision, and strategy to develop and deploy state-of-the-art information and computing systems in support of scientific research and business operations and collaborate closely with senior leadership to refine and implement that vision across the organization.
- Lead the Information Technology Division to develop and maintain:
- IT infrastructure, which includes networking and telecommunications, cloud and on-premises application platforms, and desktop computing support.
- Business systems that support research and business operations.
- Information services, including the Research Library, records management, and scientific publications.
- Effective cyber security protection programs for the Laboratory in accordance with DOE orders.
- Direct the effective and innovative use of IT, coupled with other institutional resources, to bring about greater organizational effectiveness and the advancement of research and operations, including business systems supporting Finance, Procurement, Human Resources, ES&H, Facilities, and our world-class User Facilities and scientific programs.
- Proactively partner, develop, and maintain effective working relationships and collaborations with leaders across the Laboratory. Ensure proper governance of IT initiatives by Laboratory management.
- Provide direction and guidance in formulating and executing a strategic information and technology plan consistent with Brookhaven's mission, and direction of the broader IT industry. Recommend priorities to executive leadership and guide the executive team to appropriate IT decisions. Determine investment strategies and priorities, and monitor effective control of the cost, schedule and performance of IT investments and corresponding projects. Establish effective priority-setting processes for major projects and allocation of resources to achieve schedule and budget objectives.
- Manage ITD resources, including the administration of personnel and budget to ensure maximum effectiveness and quality of service delivered, as well as cultivating an inclusive culture that emphasizes collaboration, continuous improvement and commitment to excellence. This includes staff performance, assessment, career development, succession planning, sustaining morale, and improving productivity.
- Ensure implementation of Laboratory policy related to IT management and to computing and communications, in compliance with Federal law and with DOE requirements.
- Systematically anticipate, recognize, and control risks and measure performance over time using metrics, data, and analysis to improve performance.
- Personally establish leadership behavior, including regular and honest communications.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in IT or related discipline and fifteen (15) years of relevant experience, with at least five (5) years in a senior IT leadership role
- Proven and successful track record of IT leadership, execution and delivery; demonstrated ability to define a vision, set a strategy and lead an organization from vision to implementation, on time and on budget.
- Experience leading high-performing IT organizations, cultivating environments with a shared sense of mission and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion principles.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, including creating a compelling vision and associated strategy for a complex organization and gaining commitment to the strategy from stakeholders.
- Record of ability to implement strategy, align staff and resources to achieve goals and to build and direct diverse, multidisciplinary organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to the development of staff and leadership within the framework of diversity, equity, and inclusion as the path to excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve excellence in operations to include cyber security, IT infrastructure and operations, information services, and application management and development.
- Inspiring, visionary and collaborative leader who can influence others to achieve common goals by engaging and developing robust, productive relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated abilities as a skilled communicator with exceptional interpersonal, relationship building, advocacy and negotiation skills applied across a broad spectrum of constituents and stakeholders.
- Strong leadership presence. Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire others to action. Willingness and ability to engage with staff at all levels.
- Ability to work in a team setting, both as a leader and as a member.
- Broad business experience driving execution and adoption of strategic programs and innovative business systems across large teams in complex organizations and in different environments.
- Experience running a variety of systems in diverse business and technology environments.
- Ability to proactively identify and/or manage crises and controversies effectively.
- Demonstrated record of measuring, tracking, and trending performance data to improve the delivery of efficient and effective IT deployment and cyber security at the enterprise level.
- Prior experience representing the interests of an organization through interactions with federal, state, and local agencies.
- Experience developing and implementing cyber security and IT policies.
- Ability to meet eligibility requirements to obtain Q-level security clearance for access to classified information or matters.
- Travel domestically, as required
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working in an organization with a strong academic and/or research mission, and familiarity with their policies and processes for conflicts of interest, business practices, and/or contracting.
- Experience with federal government contracts and regulations (FAR/DEAR).
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
Apply online only at; https://jobs.bnl.gov/job/upton/chief-information-officer/3437/35294174400