Backend Drupal Developer
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health's Office of External Affairs encompasses three teams: 1) Communications and Marketing; 2) Development and Constituent Relations and 3) Finance and Administration.
The award-winning Communications and Marketing team provides strategic communications, external and internal communications and marketing services for the School across a variety of digital, print and physical platforms. This includes brand and identity management, digital strategies and web services, editorial and content strategies, visual communications, media and public relations, social media and integrated marketing campaigns.
As the #1 school of public health in the country and the oldest independent, degree-granting school of public health in the world, the Office of External Affairs offers unparalleled opportunities for creative work in the service of the School's mission: Protecting Health, Saving Lives - Millions at a Time.
The Backend Drupal Developer works on the Communications & Marketing Team within the Office of External Affairs. Under the direction of the Director of Digital Strategy, the Backend Drupal Developer contributes to a small team of front- and backend developers. The role is responsible for the development and maintenance of predominantly Drupal-based websites, including the School's flagship website and multiple additional publishing sites, such as magazine.jhsph.edu and globalhealthnow.org, and other web applications managed by the Office of External Affairs. This position is highly collaborative and works closely with individuals and groups throughout the School. The Bloomberg School is an exciting place to develop your career with the potential for important, creative work. The Communications & Marketing Team is a close-knit, professional team and offers flexible hours, some remote work and generous benefits.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with clients and stakeholders to gather and translate business and technical requirements into solutions for public health related websites.
- Design and develop solutions for web applications and APIs, predominantly based in Drupal, possibly some direct/vanilla PHP, using the latest best practices.
- Join the current website redesign effort in progress to successfully migrate the flagship site from Site Executive to Drupal and support continued evolution and maintenance.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate tools and methods to ensure all delivered code works as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end user references.
- Perform maintenance and security updates to maintain site integrity.
- Provide support by investigating and resolving issues to ensure prompt, effective customer service.
- Work to meet WCAG 2.1 Level AA guidelines for web accessibility as needed.
- Identify and recommend new technologies, best practices, trends, strategies and tactics to position the School as a digital leader.
- Work with other team members to level-up or complement skills as needed.
- Communicate solutions both orally and in writing to team members and internal clients.
- Work with outside vendors and consultants to help produce additional projects.
Bachelor's degree in an applicable discipline required. Three+ years of experience building Drupal-based solutions. At least two years of experience with Drupal 8 backend development including custom module development;preferred. Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Extensive hands-on experience with Drupal Cloud technologies and hosting environments such as Acquia and Pantheon
- Strong understanding of OOP PHP principles and core Symfony fundamentals including Plugin development, Dependency Injection, Routing and Service definitions
- Drupal caching implementation and optimization experience
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and Continuous Integration
- Experience with SASS/SCSS and task runners such as Gulp or Grunt
- Experience using pattern libraries such as Pattern Lab, Fractal, etc.
- Aptitude or a keen interest in user-center design
- Experience with development approaches rooted in progressive enhancement methodologies
- Working knowledge of ColdFusion and SQL, a plus
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience integrating and customizing Drupal core and contrib APIs, hooks, and events
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work non-peak hours when needed
Details and Opportunities:
- The School is in the middle of an extensive website redesign and transformation project focused on transitioning our flagship website, jhsph.edu, from our current CMS, SiteExecutive, to Drupal 8/9. The Backend Drupal Developer will join that project, which offers an excellent opportunity to make contributions to the foundation and evolution of the School's new website.
- The Backend Drupal Developer must be able to manage their own short- and long-term deadlines and manage multiple projects, deadlines, and priorities independently. The level of autonomy afforded provides an opportunity for a motivated candidate seeking increasing responsibility.
- This role requires an ability to think strategically and to see past the day to day work to keep the big picture in focus. They will work with team members and vendors to implement and suggest new ways to use web tools while maintaining strict coding standards.
Classified Title: Sr. Programmer Analyst
Working Title: Backend Drupal Developer
Starting Salary Range: $59,280.00 - $80,052.00; Commensurate with experience
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Public Health, East Baltimore Campus
Department Name: Communications
Personnel Area: Johns Hopkins University
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Backend-Drupal-Developer-MD-21205/699629300/