CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
ViacomCBS Streaming (formerly CBS Interactive) is a division of ViacomCBS that encompasses both free, paid, and premium streaming services including Pluto TV, CBS All Access, CBS Sports Digital, and CBS News Digital.
ComicBook.com and PopCulture.com, are entertainment media websites for a generation passionate about larger than life characters, celebrities and entertainment franchises. Combined each brand reaches more than 28 million monthly unique visitors. It's the nation's go-to source for all things pop culture. From celebrity and trending news to comics, anime, gaming, and franchises like The Walking Dead, Star Wars, Star Trek, Netflix and WWE, ComicBook.com and PopCulture.com speak to a genre of fans that eat, sleep and play amidst today\\'s pop culture.
As the Sr. Director of Software Engineering, leading a growing and nimble development team, you employ your deep coding and technical leadership skills in this critical role, providing architectural direction building a variety of free, ad supported content products for entertainment fans. This is a hands-on leadership role.
- Manage internal development resources and third-party vendors through the product lifecycle from design to development, testing, release, and support
- Attract and retain top engineering talent as you build out a world class development team and product development discipline
- Lead product management and the engineering team to understand the needs of the business and deliver world-class products to a passionate user base.
- Manage the platform development to deliver new functionalities according to the underlying business objectives
- Groom career paths for existing employees
- Provide technical/software development leadership and architectural guidance
- Rebuild existing integrated systems with distributed micro-service systems
- Work in a fast-paced AGILE environment. This should be second nature (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban, etc.) with evolutionary architecture and prototyping, experience with various databases and configuration/deployment/testing solutions.
- Perform hands-on participation in team coding, developing interfaces for web applications, services, and future technology.
- Review the developers\\' code, provide feedback and develop team knowledge.
- Collaborate with technical and business resources, gathering and documenting requirements and formulating action plans.
- Present designs and plans to executive management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate possesses the highest level of experience in leadership, application development, software engineering, and application architecture. We are ideally looking for these skills and experiences:
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Excellence in problem-solving, strategic thinking, and working in a team-oriented environment
- 5+ years as a hands-on engineer solving hard scaling problems horizontally
- 7+ years leading and building a team of engineers
- 2+ years of product management experience with a user facing website or app
- Experience building high traffic consumer facing site or app using both client and server side frameworks like PHP, React or similar MVC frameworks
- Good understanding of data caching strategies and working knowledge of CDNs (Akamai, CloudFront, Fastly)
- Experience mentoring developers
- Experience developing and using web-based APIs
- Experience with open source solutions, using and deploying on cloud-based platforms
- Deep understanding of current web technologies and trends, including Linux, RESTful APIs, Relational & NoSQL Datastores(MySQL, Redis, DynamoDB), among others.
- Experience integrating ad serving products and analytics/reporting tools into desktop and mobile experiences
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team alongside other developers contributing to the same code base library
- Very strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with other non-technical members of the product team
- Must successfully pass a background check
You might also have:
- Experience with SEO and front end performance
- You love comic books, movies, television or other pop-culture media
- Good understanding of server and cloud computing technologies from providers such as AWS, GCP, and Azure
- Experience with Git/GitHub, BitBucket or similar version control systems
To apply, visit: https://viacomcbs.careers/virtual-usa/sr-director-software-engineering-popculturecomcomicbookcom/41B7A8B1BF8A4ACCBE0DE5531FF10F15/job/
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.viacbs.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to email@example.com. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.