This ad is expired.
Local IT Specialist
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 43357
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 10-25-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high-performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu
The Local IT Specialist works with the Chancellor's Office, Executive Vice Chancellor's Office (EVC) and other administrative leadership units to provide a variety of IT services. The Local IT Specialist will apply professional concepts to analyze and resolve complex issues in a variety of areas including database administration, application administration and programming, IT project management, systems or server administration, systems and process analysis, security, solution development and maintenance, business technical support. The goal of the Local IT Specialist is to develop and provide a stable, robust infrastructure that will support the current and expected needs of the client and help units realize their maximum potential with respect to department specific objectives.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $83,500 - 92,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day, Evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007309 (INFO SYS ANL 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - Application Administration and Support for Administrative Leadership Units
- Responsible for on-site maintenance, patching, and version control of server components, as well as installation and maintenance of computer equipment and client components.
- Responsible for security controls and permissions management.
- Works independently to perform testing for application updates to ensure proper operation and conformance to test plans. Coordinates with appropriate IT teams to implement release management for new and existing applications updates.
- Works independently and with minimal oversight to apply appropriate concepts on moderately complex to complex projects, including the management of structured and unstructured content and works with the units to deploy solutions to meet their business needs.
- Initiates, designs and communicates with senior level personnel regarding database administration studies, summary reports and background material including approaches, trends, and sources.
- Resolves procedural and technical issues in the context of department policies and procedures.
30% - Troubleshoots and Resolves Issues
- Designs and coordinates work flow of support requests, setting priorities and tracking resolution.
- Ensures compliance with and provides input to service level agreements.
- Makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware, software and services.
- Performs analysis of existing and new applications to acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, software, databases, utilities and / or tools.
- Applies and manages complex security configurations.
20% - Other Duties
- Proactively cooperates and coordinates with local IT staff and ITS units on shared service delivery, service incubation, optimization, and stabilization as campus standard.
- Works with relevant product managers to assess campus and customer needs for information technology products, and assist in designing services to meet those needs.
- Understands and applies industry practices, community standards and department/ unit policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- May serve as technical lead for a project of moderate scope.
- Trains users and other technicians.
- Negotiates project plans with stakeholders.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Broad knowledge of various areas of IT.
- Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and implementation. Basic knowledge of secure software development. Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
- Thorough knowledge of business and process analysis functions. Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Experience troubleshooting client, server related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Experience in incident response and digital forensics, Including data collection, examination and analysis.
- Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software. Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system
- users and dependent / related functions.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Certified Scrum Master.
- ITIL Foundations.
- Agile/Lean Certified.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of systems and restricted or confidential information. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable UC policies and departmental procedures in providing for security of the systems or applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff completes all appropriate and required security training.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.