SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is one of 17 Department of Energy (DOE) National Laboratories. Operated by Stanford University on behalf of the DOE, SLAC develops and operates some of the world's premier science facilities, including the first hard X-ray free-electron laser. Researchers from SLAC and other premier institutions around the world use our facilities to investigate some of the most exciting and important problems facing our society in areas such as clean energy, environmental science, biomedicine, and advanced materials. The Laboratory operates national user facilities for photon science and accelerator development, while also pursuing world-leading research in photon science, accelerator physics, particle physics and astrophysics, materials, energy and biology within six science mission Directorates.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Information Technology Department is seeking a Director of IT Client Experience. This position will oversee IT Support Operations, client outreach, Service Design, and Service Management activities within the IT division. This new position, which will report directly to the CIO, will also serve as part of the SLAC IT leadership team providing IT thought leadership and informing the laboratory's overall IT Strategy.
The Director of IT Client Experience will be responsible for shaping and improving the end-to-end IT experience for laboratory employees, researchers, and facilities users by analyzing customer feedback, working with stakeholders, leveraging industry best practice, and by collaborating with other technology professionals at SLAC. The Director of IT Client Experience will lead and develop a team of IT professionals, keeping them empowered and engaged. The person in this role will be expected to serve as the lab's IT support and service management subject matter expert, specifically in the practice areas of Incident, Request, Knowledge, Continuity and Asset Management, as well as Service Desk operations and Continual Improvement.
Your specific responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic end-user facing technology service leadership across SLAC.
- Collaborating with leaders, stakeholders, and facilities users across the lab.
- Driving enterprise-level change in a decentralized environment.
- Constantly delivering client-focused solutions to our stakeholders
- Building and promoting a service-oriented organizational culture
- Setting the strategic direction for multiple lines of Stanford end-user facing technology services.
- Leading and empowering highly engaged teams of IT professionals, business analysts, support personnel, and leaders.
- Leading the enterprise service desk, desk-side support, hardware procurement program, service management program, and client outreach program within SLAC IT.
- Collaborating with other leaders in defining the overarching user experience and service delivery strategy for SLAC.
- Service as a subject matter expert on current and emerging technologies
- Tracking, analyzing, and publishing service usage data, support metrics, and customer satisfaction levels.
- Leveraging service metric, as well as other data sources, to inform continuous improvement efforts.
- Coordinating with the Cyber Security Program Office to ensure adequate security for information systems is maintained per Stanford and DOE policies.
- Meeting frequently with researchers, program management and stakeholders to ensure IT services are meeting mission needs.
- Collaborating with, and aligning practices with Stanford University where appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining strong networks among peers at Stanford.
- Managing support, licensing, and procurement budgets.
- Consistently demonstrating a commitment to a diverse workforce, equal employment opportunities, and adherence to the Laboratory\\\\'s environment, safety and health policies.
To be successful in this position you will bring:
- Bachelor\\\\'s degree and ten years of increasingly technical work experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience. Must have substantial managerial experience in formulating, planning, leading, directing, and controlling a complex, broad, and highly technical function. Must also have substantial customer support, user experience design, or service management experience.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to influence and motivate constituencies which could span multiple organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability leading, planning, and supporting an innovative environment, with staff working on a wide variety of technical activities.
- Ability to implement and sustain organizational initiatives, aligning organizational goals with SLAC IT goals and vision.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions using good business judgment and innovative and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial, organizational, and staff resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to cultivate professional and business partnerships.
- Relevant subject matter expertise
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management experience preferably from a research or academic institution.
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker who plans and makes decisions within the framework of the Institution\\\\'s strategic intent.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated capabilities in delivering presentations and reports.
- Proven track record of applying the benefits of IT to solve computing and information management issues while managing cost and risk.
- Proven ability to develop and utilize metrics with demonstrated results.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate new technological developments and gauge their appropriateness for use.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computing and Cyber Security standards.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage change.
- Demonstrated experience managing an IT Support Organization
- Demonstrated experience in IT Service Management Practices
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Note: SLAC is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) laboratory operated by Stanford University and based in Menlo Park; CA. Due to COVID-19-related curtailment of on-site activities, the job duties for this position may be required to be performed from home until full site access is restored.
Apply at: Director of IT Client Experience
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. SLAC is an E-Verify employer.